BEMC awards $10,000 in college scholarships each year.
Each year Brunswick Electric awards two scholarships of $5,000 each to high school seniors from Brunswick County and the Columbus County area served by BEMC. Scholarship awards are based on a combination of academic achievement, participation in community or school-related activities, SAT scores, letters of reference and submission of a 1,500 word essay. Applications are available online by mid-December and the submission deadline is generally mid-March each year. Application packages will also be available in all high school guidance offices by mid-December.
The scholarships are open to all high school seniors meeting the following criteria:
- must be a U.S. Citizen
- attend a high school located in Brunswick, Columbus, Bladen or Robeson County
- live in a residence receiving electric service from BEMC
- must be the dependent of a BEMC member with a permanent primary residence that currently receives electric service from BEMC
- have been accepted at an accredited 2-yr community college, 4-yr college, or a vocational / technical school, for full-time status of 12 or more credit hours; and
- plan to start school in the fall of the award year
All completed applications must be submitted through the student's guidance counselor by the application deadline. Failure to submit the application on time could result in disqualification of the application.